Re[2]: HTTP2 Expression of Interest

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mike Belshe" mike@belshe.com

>On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <henrikn@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I think the reason why your argument fails to convince is that it is
> made at the wrong layer.

 I don't think it fails to convince.  I'm winning this argument by a
 mile!  I'd be happy to take a poll to find out.

It must be getting very late there Mike, we appreciate your engagement
in the issue, but I don't think it's accurate to claim you're even
ahead in the argument.

Adrien

>mike
>

> It is essentially not an HTTP issue but a content provider issue
> whether content is exposed over TLS or not. Every content provider
> today has the option of using TLS or not -- some has chosen to use it
> and others not. It would be much more beneficial if you could
> convince content providers that is it a good idea for them to use
> TLS.

  I think you would feel the same if I argued that TCP should be
  abandoned in favor or TLS throughout the Internet. Clearly that would
  feel like overreach from a policy point of view that doesn't reflect
  what TCP is actually used for.

  I doubt you will find anybody who will "vote against the user" but it
  also somewhat naïve to say that the user is "safe" if we use TLS.

 Having TLS does not make you safe.  But not having it *does* make you
 unsafe.

 Mike

  There are so many other aspects (privacy, tracking, etc.) that
  directly involve content providers directly so rather than focusing
  on one particular aspect (TLS) I would argue that the right
  discussion to have is with content providers about what it means to
  expose data in a safe manner. Not whether TLS should be mandatory in
  HTTP or not.

  Henrik