Re: Re[4]: HTTP2 Expression of Interest

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Adrien W. de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> we can already transfer many objects over a single connection with HTTP/1.1
>
> SPDY without SSL would be more speedy than with it.
>
> There may be only a couple R-Ts to get an SSL handshake, but sprinkle on a
> CRL / OCSP check and you're left eating dust.
>
> So, let's just get this straight for the record.  SSL will not improve
> latency.  It will make it worse, and for many people (on
> already-high-latency links) a LOT worse.

Of course, no-SSL is lower latency than SSL.  It's not 3 RTs all the time,
but yes, OSCP can add a lot, and SSL implementations vary.  But SPDY gains
a lot of this back with fewer connections, multiplexing, and compression.
 Don't forget to implement SSL False Start in your client.  Obviously an
un-optimized SSL stack will have a harder time than an optimized one.

But its not true that every bit of latency is more important than security.

Note that Google has reported overall latency of SPDY + SSL is faster than
HTTP without SSL or SPDY.

Mike