Re: HTTP/2 Expression of luke-warm interest: Varnish

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>wrote:

> In message <
> CABaLYCuk4o-mTJ+UsfBfqnbo-xVZysjAjrS8JMW8rnV_WohVxA@mail.gmail.com>
> , Mike Belshe writes:
>

> http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/draft-kamp-httpbis-http-20-architecture-01.txt
> >
> >This is not a spec - you can't implement anything from this.
>
> Which part of
>         "Before rushing into standardization of HTTP/2.0 based on
>         past experience and grievances with HTTP/1.1, we should
>         examine what the architecture underlying the next 10-20
>         years of web-browsing must do for us."
>
> Didn't you understand ?

SPDY's concepts are not new or revolutionary.  None of the concepts haven't
been seen before in other protocols (multiplexing, prioritization,
compression, etc).  We just assembled them in a coherent way that a lot of
people have advocated for a very long time and that have now been proven to
work well for HTTP.

There is no rushing going on here - these are tried and true techniques
that are ready for the next generation of HTTP now, and they've already
been in development for 3 years.  This is not a prototype.  This is the
real deal.  It will change, of course, but its a very solid starting point.

So its not that I didn't understand anything you said, it's just that
you're still trying to catch up. :-)

Mike