Re: HTTP/2 Expression of luke-warm interest: Varnish

We've agreed to how we're proceeding after extensive discussion previously.

Changing that plan would require re-chartering, and while I hear a few people agreeing with you, I hear a lot more people who are committed to the path we're on. So, extra words from you at this point aren't going to do it; I need to hear broad consensus among people who implement and deploy HTTP to even consider this.

Thanks,

On 16/07/2012, at 7:16 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <504E861E-C63B-466B-8E81-E6FC67DDDC7B@mnot.net>, Mark Nottingham w
> rites:
>
> Mark,
>
> The goals you point to are however goals for a WG, and I think they
> are good goals for a WG, but they are not goals for a protocol.
>
> Goals for a protocol would sound more like:
>
> * "90% of all first requests fit in one packet on 1500 byte MTU"
> * "request-reponse model." / "peer-to-peer model"
> * "All protocol elements must be fixed size or length prefixed."
> * "Must have multiplexing and pipelining"
> * "Cryptographic protection is included/optional/mandatory"
> * "Has (no) out-of-protection routing envelope"
> * "Can (not) mix protected and unprotected requests on same connection"
> * "No-extra-RT upgrade from HTTP/1 to HTTP/2"
> * "Must demonstrate 10Gbit/sec load-balancer implementation on COTS PC"
> * "Client must offer unique device or user identifier"
> * "Not allow cookies or other server initiated tagging of client."
> * "Replace User-agent with something of finite size and preferably usable."
>
> and so on (examples only!)
>
> Picking what you call "a starting point" -- no matter which of the three
> you pick -- will put many of these decisions outside the reach of the WG.
>
> Poul-Henning
>
> PS: Your argument that it's better to have SPDY inside pissing out
> than outside pissing in, is just capitulation by a different name.
>
> --

Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/