Re: Response to HTTP2 expresions of interest

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>wrote:

> TLS communication today already have an envelope consisting of
> IP# + TCP port numbers, and unless your adversary is totally
> incompetent, he also has the DNS lookup that gave you that IP#.
>
> QED: Putting the "Host:" in the HTTP envelope does not leak any
> information your adversary doesn't already have or can guess.

That’s just not true.  There are lots of ways to get to a particular origin
server, and I would think that for a malicious person in the middle, the
Host header would be more interesting than the ostensible IP address.  On
the other hand, I do understand why a payload-oblivious load balancer would
need to see that header.  It is simply the case that we have two objectives
which are apparently in conflict. No, I don’t have a solution (or even a
strong opinion, yet, although I’m inclined to err on the side of protecting
user privacy at the expense of almost all else).  -Tim