Re: Protocols, extensions, compatibility

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:44:45PM -0400, Peter Lepeska wrote:
> Watching this video, Patrick McManus makes a great point about increasing
> connections increases the likelihood that SYNs and SYN-ACKs will get
> dropped. That's a very convincing argument for me AGAINST my suggestion to
> simply increase the per host limit.
>
> Thanks for sending the link,

I agree with him on this too, and for having run tests with very large
per-host limits one year ago, I can say that these losses *do* happen.
What's worse is that they generally don't happen below a certain limit,
and that they happen by batches when you go beyond that limit. Of course,
this limit depends on the network between the two TCP endpoints and its
load and there is no real way to guess it.

Willy