Re: Adjusting our spec names

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:31:02PM +0200, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> I'm more sceptical about changing *generic* field-value lists; keeping in
> mind our need to be able to handle arbitrary 1.1 messages, I don't think we
> can change too much here.

I know, but this is a real trouble we're all facing and that is worth working
on. I must say I don't have a solution, but by declaring we won't change this
in 2.0, we would discourage anyone from trying to find solutions. From time
to time, applications randomly break because of this list handling. Not long
ago I encountered the issue because of an application putting a comma into a
cookie value. And it's hard to iterate over field-values right now, some
people don't even get it right at all and make a big difference between
multiple header fields and a comma-delimited list of values. So I think
this problem is worth trying to address even if it ends up by handling a
handful of field names which can safely contain a comma (Date, Expires,
Referer, Set-Cookie, ...).

Regards,
Willy