Re: The TLS hammer and resource integrity

On 3/28/2012 11:42 PM, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> Not necessarily but similarly we don't necessarily want to decide for
> the users that they need privacy where that really does not make sense
> for them. If you have a widget on your TV displaying a beautiful clock
> which looks nice in your living room, you don't care a dime that the
> time of day is retrieved over HTTP and that someone else can see the
> time you're seeing.

You might care that someone else knows that you are seeing it (and are
therefore present and watching your tv). Domestic violence prevention
advocates care about this stuff a lot - TLS makes it better without
completely fixing it. (i.e. you can see that there is some activity but
you might not be able to distinguish from other less identifying
automatic activity, or cannot associate it with a cookie that would tell
you who was using what appliance, etc..)

the content provider is in no position to make this decision about the
user's privacy and is certainly not incented to care. I want to build a
web that at least mitigates passive sniffing attacks - we can do that
now.  The state of things when we make security optional is just
embarrassing.