Re[2]: SPDY = HTTP/2.0 or not ?

------ Original Message ------
From: "Peter Saint-Andre" <stpeter@stpeter.im>
>On 3/26/12 11:22 AM, Adrien W. de Croy wrote:
>

>>------ Original Message ------ From: "Peter Saint-Andre"

>>Could we cut the FUD about needing to pay for certs? There are
>>indeed providers of free certificates (I won't mention names for
>>fear of being tarred with a marketing brush).
>>

>>>providers of free certs who
>>>

>>>a) verify the identity of the entity they issue the certificate
>>>to b) have a root cert that's sufficiently well deployed and
>>>trusted to be usable
>>>

>>>?  I'd be keen to know more.
>>>

>>>if not a (which is incompatible with free) then is it really
>>>security?
>>>

>You can check the cert at the URL in my sig.

Ok thanks.

In the end though, even if the certificate itself isn't charged for,
there's still a cost involved in obtaining and installing it.

Generating a signing request etc, importing the certificate and
managing the private key.

These add a significant requirement to many HTTP server deployment
scenarios, not the least in terms of level of knowledge of the person
doing it.

>>And SSL/TLS is not *necessarily* tied to PKI, either.
>>

>>>OK.  so no private key?  Just some shared secret then?
>>>

>See for example the DANE WG:
>
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dane-protocol

thanks again!

Adrien