Re: SPDY = HTTP/2.0 or not ?

Hi Roy,

On 3/26/2012 10:10 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2012, at 9:44 AM, patrick mcmanus wrote:
>

> I've never considered SSL to be a means of securing the protocol.
I'm fine with another answer to security if there is a better one
available. My expectation is that SSL will evolve to solve some of its
shortcomings and that is a reasonable train to be linked on to.

> In any case, the notion that every user wants a secure protocol is
> irrelevant.

I disagree. To me its fundamental and the checkered history of HTTP/1 in
this space should inform the next revision.

>    There are many examples of HTTP use, in practice, for
> which SSL/TLS is neither desired nor appropriate.  Even simple things,
> like the exchange that Apple devices use to discover network access point
> logins, cannot work with an assumption of SSL/TLS.

Can you explain the Apple use case in detail? That sounds interesting,
although I don't have the presumption that this has to be the only
protocol to satisfy every use case.