Re: SPDY = HTTP/2.0 or not ?

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> In message <CAAbTgTu7qbPiREWRRqFddgoko0FCt0jmxR=NP1gqsiARCwscew@mail.gmail.com>
> , Brian Pane writes:
>
>>Nonetheless, I think it would be reasonable for HTTP/2.0 to require SSL.
>
> I think you need to talk to some people with big websites ;-)

In my day job, I work on L7 performance at a website with
800 million users. Does that count? ;-)

> There are a large swath of the HTTP traffic that doesn't need and cannot
> afford the overhead of crypto and if you mandate that HTTP/2.0 use
> crypto, they will simply stay on HTTP/1.1 forever.

The cost of the crypto overhead isn't what it used to be.
Nowadays a single core of a commodity CPU can do
thousands of 1024-bit RSA operations per second or
well over a Gb/s of RC4 or AES encryption.

-Brian