Re: editorial feedback on draft-mbelshe-httpbis-spdy-00

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>wrote:

> 1. Overview
>
> I find the statement about pipelining a bit ... unbalanced. "Intermediary
> Inference" is no problem at all if you run over SSL, which is something
> SPDY does by default. Unless I'm missing something.

Agreed.

> 3.2.1 Request
>
> ":version" - so this essentially positions SPDY as alternate transport
> layer for HTTP; preserving the version number. Out of curiosity; what is it
> needed for? Preserving all information when tunneling? The same question
> applies to ":scheme"...

Since it's possible to layer different (future) versions of HTTP on top of
SPDY, don't we need the ":version" header to preserve all information? And
similarly, we can conceivably handle different schemes over SPDY, such as
https (the obvious one), http, ws, wss, etc, so I think including ":scheme"
is important.

> 3.2.3 Authentication
>
> a) as far as I understand, RFC 4559 does not define the "NTLM" scheme.
>
> b) in general, it's not clear why this paragraph is here; does
> Authentication work any different than in HTTP? Maybe just point to HTTPbis
> P7?
>

> 3.3
>
> "Browsers MUST implement throttles..."
>
> That doesn't seem to be testable. Maybe replace with advice in prose.
>
> 6.2 SETTINGS frame
>
> This seems to be a feature complete orthogonal to the remainder of the
> spec. Maybe just remove it?

Are you saying you don't feel it's worthwhile calling out the privacy
consideration of SETTINGS frames? I'm unclear what you mean by being
orthogonal to the remainder of the spec.

> Editorial Nits:

Thanks. Updated some of them at
https://github.com/mbelshe/SPDY-Specification/commit/e940e5d3c1cc930e52bd30b7e03f78573c0e04ad
.

> Boilerplate: month name needs to be a full name, such as "February"

Done

> Abstract: should not contain references (so just remove the "[RFC2616]")

Done

> (speaking of which this should really reference HTTPbis)
>
> Terminology: "header" -> "header field"

Where?

> 2.2.1 Control Frames
>
> has "...see Control Frames for the complete list..."; this should be a
> proper reference (to where?)

Not done yet.

> 2.2.2 Data frames
>
> s/MUST send issue/MUST issue/

Done

> 3.2.1
>
> Cites RFC 1738 for URI syntax; should cite RFC 3986.

Done

> 3.3
>
> Example host names should use the names reserved for this purpose.

Which ones are those?

> s/disc cache/cache/

I assume you meant s/disk cache/cache/. Done.

> 10.
>
> The TLSNPN reference needs to use the proper reference format for Internet
> Drafts. I also note that the referenced spec has expired a few months ago;
> if this is an integral part of SPDY we need to figure out how to make
> progress on it.

Agreed. It languished for awhile, but I think we need to revive the TLSNPN
discussions.