Re: WGLC issue for p7: "strength"

On 24/03/2012 12:27 p.m., Martin Thomson wrote:
>>> And maybe the use of MUST is not appropriate here.
>> That's what I was thinking too.
> Saying nothing works.  "The user agent MUST select one auth-scheme
> that it understands..."
>
> Or you remove the MUST altogether, there's nothing saying that a user
> agent couldn't just go off and make a cup of tea when it encounters an
> WWW-Authenticate.
>
> "The user agent selects one challenge that it can use..."

Was not the reasoning behind that MUST to prevent mishaps like IE6
selecting the first presented option even if it was the worst security-wise?

I would think this is a case for the auth scheme specifictions to ouline
which alternative schemes they are stronger/weaker than, and in what ways.
It does not really matter to HTTP which scheme is selected, only that
any security resulting is the best available.

AYJ