Re: Bad browser behaviour?

On 20/03/2012 3:20 p.m., Adrien W. de Croy wrote:
> Hi all
> we're seeing some (IMO) undesirable behaviour for all tested current
> browsers (we tested FF, Chrome, IE and Opera).
> It relates to abortive closes on chunked transfers.  In this case, I'm
> talking about a server close prior to the final 0 chunk.
> All the browsers we tested ignore this and display the content with no
> warning whatsoever.
> For our proxy to treat it as an abortive close is therefore a problem
> in our customers' eyes.
> So what's the deal?  Should we allow this behaviour in the spec?  Or
> should browser vendors be encouraged to break the page / download?
> Isn't it a potential security issue?
>
> Adrien

Why is it a problem? Abortive close does not necessarily mean the sky is
falling. It just means incomplete transfer. Happens all the time.

Chunked transfer just offers the possibility of automatic recovery by
the client UA by informing that it *was* incomplete/aborted instead of
complete/terminated. The proxy should be relaying that information along
with an early abort on the client connection.

AYJ