Re: #227: HEAD and Caches

fre 2012-03-02 klockan 21:09 +1100 skrev Mark Nottingham:

> > In a related note: Is it allowed for a cache to rewrite a HEAD request to a GET if there previously is no entity stored for that request?
> > Maybe there should be some text on that, or is that an implementation detail?
>
> It certainly isn't prohibited, but I tend to think that's an
> optimisation, not a specified behaviour.

Yes, it is an optimization. It would certainly be wrong to specify that
caches SHOULD change HEAD to GET.

If anything needs to be said on the topic then perhaps further stressing
the fact that HEAD and GET are semantically equivalent. But unless text
have weakened significantly in this compared to 2616 then I see no
reason why spend any effort on that.

Regards
Henrik