Re: Idempotent partial updates

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com> wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2012, at 9:31 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure we are communicating.
>>
>> In the web-as-deployed, partial updates often use the PUT method.
>
> In the Web as defined, standardized, and deployed, those partial
> updates using the PUT method are not interoperable with standard
> HTTP/1.x servers.

Please could you be more specific

> That has been known since the idea was first
> brought up and has not changed since then.  We could not make
> non-compatible changes to an existing method in 1996, nor 1999,
> nor can we do so now in 2012.

The inference here being there is infrastructure which relies on PUT
requests being non-partial _across the whole of the web_? Do you have
some examples?

> There is no such thing as partial updates using PUT.

Maybe in a theoretical sense, but there are clients and servers
interacting this way on the web right now. Everything seems to be
going OK despite this.

Cheers,
Mike