On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:53:27AM +1300, Robert Collins wrote:
(...)
> OAuth certainly *thinks* it provides *both* Authentication *and*
> Authorization, and it uses the same header that Basic and Digest do -
> Authorization.

I think that this simply shows a semantic mistake from the past, where
authentication and authorization were a bit conflated. Look at the HTTP
headers, you have the server send "www-authenticate", and the client
responds with "authorization" ! At least this is a point we should clarify
in the next version, because I know too many people who consider that
authenticated == authorized. And this is also one reason for http-based
auth not being *that* much deployed in the applications world since they
have to pretend an authentication failure (401) to report a lack of
authorization if/when they want to offer the client a chance to try other
credentials.

Regards,
Willy