Re: #311 Add limitations to Range to reduce its use as a denial-of-service tool

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> while we're on the topic of range requests, there are an increasing number of
> agents that fail when range requests are responded to with a 200 and full
> content.
>
> Things like
>
> * MS Windows update
> * iTunes
> * AppleTV client
> * various other updaters
> * anything relying on BITS in Windows.
>
> etc.
>
> This is a conflict with any gateway AV scanning which requires the entire
> entity in order to scan it and which therefore removes Range headers from
> requests.
>
> Could/should we add language to send a stronger message to agent authors to
> deter them from such behaviour?  It makes little or no sense to post an error
> about a misconfigured gateway simply because it downgrades all range requests
> to full requests.  The entire entity is still available to be sent back to
> the client, it just refuses to play if it can't get its way.

It remindes me of a WebDAV client that was waiting for the connection to
be closed after receiving a successful response to a PUT. Keeping the
connection open was making the client stall, expecting a specific
behaviour of a particular class of servers.

So what you ask is actually more general, it's "Do not make assumptions on
the behaviour of the server or a proxy, as observable behaviour can change
over time" and this is specially true for optional parts of the spec, like
ranges.

--
Baroula que barouleras, au tiƩu toujou t'entourneras.

         ~~Yves