Re: HTTbis spec size, was: Rechartering HTTPbis

On Feb 6, 2012, at 20:26, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Obviously, HTTP over UDP would be very exposed to DoS, so it should
> probably be confined to behind firewalls and other walled gardens,
> but I can certainly see the utility for a number of cases.

If you are interested in a REST-style transfer protocol that runs over datagram transports (such as UDP and DTLS) at a low level, you may want to look at CoAP.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-coap-08

CoAP might work well for favicon.ico :-)
(It is designed for constrained node/networks.)

Also have a look at coap-block (for payloads larger than what you like to have in a single datagram) and coap-observe (for going beyond original REST).

CoAP is different enough from HTTP that it may not be a drop-in, but if all you need is a back-end protocol behind, say, varnish, that runs on datagrams, it may be worth a look.

Grüße, Carsten