Re: feedback on draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04, "3. The 'encoding' auth-param"

* Alexei Khlebnikov wrote:
>My feedback on
><http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-basicauth-enc-04.html#encoding>:
>
>Was it considered to name the new parameter "charset" instead of
>"encoding"?

Well, "we" are trying to http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#C020 move away
from using the "charset" term and there are not many alternative words
to choose from if you want to use an established term.

>I can see the following advantages of "charset":
>
>1) "Charset" is unambigous. "Encoding" is ambigous, it can refer to many
>things: base64, quoted-printable, chunked-coding, gzip-compression, etc.

That is probably largely thanks to language hygiene efforts like above,
it used to be rather unclear what people meant when they said "charset"
or "character set". Maybe we can declare success and use it, at least
where it's consistent with existing usage, but expect complaints.