Re: HTTbis spec size, was: Rechartering HTTPbis

In message <20120128134010.GK22945@1wt.eu>, Willy Tarreau writes:
>On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 10:28:38AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>> Which 3 tokens of this HTTP request is transport information:
>>
>> 	>>> GET / HTTP/1.1
>> 	>>> Host: www.example.com
>> 	>>> Connection: close
>>
>> Answer: "HTTP/1.1", "www.example.com" and "close".
>>
>> Everything else is content, including "GET".
>
>It's not that black and white nowadays. Many sites "route" by URI,
>meaning the "/" is also part of the transport to some extent (eg:
>route to static servers rather than application servers).

They're welcome to do so in the future as well, but it should be
clearer for everybody involved that they are rounting based on
the request content then.

The reason I made the URI part of object-metadata, is that it
may need security/privacy/integrity protection.

>     4- payload         -> path, content-types, etc...
>     3- session         -> cookies, user info, auth
>     2- scrambling      -> TLS or whatever comes next
>     1- transport       -> MUX, pipelining, keep-alive

I generally agree, but I'm not sure if 1&2 are above/below or side-by-side.

That question really boils down to if the Host: header is privacy
protected or not.  This becomes a particularly intricate dance once
anonymising proxies are involved.

If Host: should have privacy, then HTTPS, as we know it, where the
entire TCP connection is encrypted, is the answer.

If Host: should not have privacy, in order to allow traffic directors,
load-balancers and similar to dispatch secure traffic without terminating
the crypto-session, then a payload-only SSL scheme would be preferable.

I'm in no position to make a call on this.