Re: #311 Add limitations to Range to reduce its use as a denial-of-service tool

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 09:00:38 -0500 (EST), Yves Lafon wrote:
>> Here is a proposal to clarify a few things to help mitigating the
>> overlapping range DoS issue:
>>
>> 1/ split section 4 in Combining Range in Caches (the actual content)
>>    and add a specific section about combining ranges in responses.
>>    (with a link to security considerations, and link back from security
>>    section to this newly created section.

>> in a response.
>>
>> Add:
>> <<
>>    Servers have liability to combine requested ranges when those ranges
>>    are ovelapping.
>>>>

> Is the phrasing "have liability" defined somewhere? I may have missed it, but
> it still took me a few minutes to realise what this sentence meant despite
> being part of the discussions earlier around Range.

Hum, I will rewrite that, but you got the spirit of it.

>> [Move this part of 5.2 here]
>> <<
>>    When an HTTP message includes the content of a single range (for
>>    example, a response to a request for a single range, or to a request
>>    for a set of ranges that overlap without any holes), this content is
>>    transmitted with a Content-Range header field, and a Content-Length
>>    header field showing the number of bytes actually transferred.  For
>>    example,
>>
>>      HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content
>>      Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 06:25:24 GMT
>>      Last-Modified: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:58:08 GMT
>>
>>    When an HTTP message includes the content of multiple ranges (for
>>    example, a response to a request for multiple non-overlapping
>>    ranges), these are transmitted as a multipart message.  The multipart
>>    media type used for this purpose is "multipart/byteranges" as defined
>>    in Appendix A.
>>
>>    A response to a request for a single range MUST NOT be sent using the
>>    multipart/byteranges media type.  A response to a request for
>>    multiple ranges, whose result is a single range, MAY be sent as a
>>    multipart/byteranges media type with one part.  A client that cannot
>>    decode a multipart/byteranges message MUST NOT ask for multiple
>>    ranges in a single request.
>>
>>    When a client requests multiple ranges in one request, the server
>>    SHOULD return them in the order that they appeared in the request.
>>>>>

> This last part seems to contradict my understanding of the last discussion
> consensus. That ranges could be combined to reduce DoS footprint.
>
> Did I get that completely out of place? or is this use of SHOULD a downgrade
> intended to permit it?

I don't see a contradiction there, it just says that the ranges should be
sent in order, however when ranges are combined, ordering can become
invalid (if the combined ranges were not directly following each other),
so yes, it's the use of a SHOULD isntead of a MUST that allows that, while
giving general guidelines for the general "normal" case.

>> Slash the following paragraph
>>
>> <<
>>    If the server receives a request (other than one including an If-
>>    Range header field) with an unsatisfiable Range header field (that
>>    is, all of whose byte-range-spec values have a first-byte-pos value
>>    greater than the current length of the selected resource), it SHOULD
>>    return a response code of 416 (Requested range not satisfiable)
>>    (Section 3.2).
>>>>
>> As it is redundant, and add an example to 3.2 and the following note:
>> <<
>>       Note: Clients cannot depend on servers to send a 416 (Requested
>>       range not satisfiable) response instead of a 200 (OK) response for
>>       an unsatisfiable Range header field, since not all servers
>>       implement this header field.
>>>>

> +1 on that hunk.
>

>> <<
>> HTTP/1.1 416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable
>>>>

>> Always allow the server to ignore range requests
>>
>> <<
>>    If the server ignores a byte-range-spec because it is syntactically
>>    invalid, the server SHOULD treat the request as if the invalid Range
>>    header field did not exist.  (Normally, this means return a 200
>>    response containing the full representation).
>>>>
>> becomes
>> <<
>>    If the server ignores a byte-range-spec (for example if it is
>>    syntactically, or if it may be seen as a denial-of-service attack),
>>    the server SHOULD treat the request as if the invalid Range header
>>    field did not exist.  (Normally, this means return a 200
>>    response containing the full representation).
>>>>

> The above omit to say what should be done with the Content-Range header when
> altering the status. We are already facing responses like:
>  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>
> If that 200 status were to be naively treated as ignoring Content-Range this
> could potentially lead to problems with the excess Content-Length. It would
> be helpful to say drop the Content-Range header or something similar during
> the status alteration.

This has been fixed by #301
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/301

<<
    The "Content-Range" header field has no meaning for status codes that
    do not explicitly describe its semantic.  Currently, only status
    codes 206 (Partial Content) and 416 (Requested range not satisfiable)
    describe the meaning of this header field.

So in your example, the Content-Range: header must be ignored.

--
Baroula que barouleras, au tiƩu toujou t'entourneras.

         ~~Yves