Re: Protocols/APIs and redirects

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 12:14:24 +0100, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
wrote:
> When we design APIs (XMLHttpRequest) and protocols (CORS) that support
> transparent redirects (redirects automatically followed by the API) what
> exactly should count as a redirect as far as they are concerned?
> Everything in the 3xx range that contains a Location header?
>
> E.g. for some part of CORS
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/cors/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#actual-request we
> explicitly fail if the response code is 301, 302, 303, or 307, because
> we want the ability to support transparent redirects going forward.
> Should we also fail if the response code is 310?
>
> Should
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#same-origin-request-event-rules
> follow redirects for status codes other than 301, 302, 303, and 307?
> Should it instead treat anything else as a network error so we can more
> easily extend it in the future? If we do not treat it as a network error
> the developer would just get back a response with a status code of 310
> and the Location header and going forward we could never treat it as any
> of the "blessed redirects" anymore.

It seems this question is related to
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/325

> Aside: What happened to
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2011JulSep/0014.html ?
> I could not find the issue.

I could not find this issue in your database or in the mailing list
archives since mnot said he would raise it. It was more or less by chance
that I happened to look at it again because I vaguely recalled having
raised a redirect issue earlier. I guess I did not use "NEW ISSUE" but
then I did not know whether it was an issue when I started the thread. Can
someone please fix this now?

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/