Re: draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-16 1.2.1 ABNF Extension: #rule – Invalid example?

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 15:17, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2011-10-26 15:08, Håkan wrote:

>> Agree with that too. Spaces are allowed BETWEEN the elements and list
>> separator. But spaces are not allowed BEFORE the first list separator or
>> element, and spaces are not allowed AFTER the last list separator or
>> element, according to the list rules. But the example "  foo ,
>> ,bar,charlie " states it's allowed.
>>
>> The rules would have to look something like this to allow OWS before and
>> after (not a real attempt to produce correct rules, just to illustrate
>> my point):
>>
>> #element => [  *OWS ( "," / element ) *( OWS "," [ OWS element ] ) *OWS ]
>> 1#element => *OWS *( "," OWS ) element *( OWS "," [ OWS element ] ) *OWS
>>

> Ack.
>
> Those are allowed because of the header-field ABNF:
>
>  header-field   = field-name ":" OWS field-value BWS
>
> ...but I agree that the prose around the examples needs to say that...
>
> Either that or, in order to isolate the examples to lists only, remove the
prefix/suffix spaces in the examples. The 1.2.1 section is near the top of
the document, in a section that talks about syntax. Headers have not been
introduced and since headers are not needed to understand the syntax around
lists I think it only introduces unnecessary complexity to include headers.

So what's the next step? Open an issue?

/Håkan