Re: Feedback on draft-sigurdsson-anti-ddos-http-throttling

Thanks Mark.  It sounds like it's safest to use a separate header
instead of Retry-After, e.g. Block-Retry-Until or some such (will
think about the naming a bit in the larger context of the I-D).

> One question -- I didn't see anywhere where Retry-After was used in your
> algorithm; it's referenced as a way for Ajax applications to control polling
> frequencies. However, this could be done by agreement between the client
> and server (e.g., using something in the response body, and/or another
> response header), correct?

When encountering a Retry-After header (or whatever header name we end
up with), the algorithm would set the release_time variable for the
throttling target in question to the indicated time, so all requests
to the throttling target until that time would be blocked.

The Ajax thing was an illustrative example, but indeed I think this
header might be most useful when providing a "web service" kind of
thing, where it's common for clients to poll on a regular basis.
You're right that there could be an agreement between client and
server that is implemented in the application layer of the client, but
this relies on all clients observing the agreement, and it adds an
implementation overhead to each client of each such service.  I
believe a mechanism in the protocol layer would be more useful, if it
becomes a widely-adopted standard.

Cheers,
Jói