Re: I-D draft-petersson-forwarded-for-01.txt

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 23:26:25 +0000
"Darrel Miller" <darrel@tavis.ca> wrote:

> >5.5.  Private extensions
> >
> >   Private extensions allow for adding own parameters and values.
> >   Private parameters MUST be prepended with "x-".  This may be
> >   particularly useful in a reverse proxy environment.
>
> Can I suggest that for the same reasons that using x- for provisional
> message headers is not recommended that you do not require x- as a parameter
> prefix?

I was not aware of draft-saintandre-xdash when I wrote this draft.
It seems appropriate to include a reference to this.
As draft-saintandre-xdash is only a draft yet, how can I update
draft-petersson-forwarded-for to take this x- deprecation into account?
Suggested formulations are welcome.

> Also, it would be nice to have a "from" parameter, as alternative to the
> >From Http header, that allowed the use of a URN to identify the requesting
> user rather than being limited to an email address.

If the from field should be specified in this draft, which might be a
good idea, I think the value should be specified to refer to
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-16#section-9.3
or RFC2616 section 14.22.

I don't see the usecase for it, containing an URN.
More important, I don't think it
would be appropriate to divert the semantics, or syntax of the field
from the definition in RFC2616 / draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics.

Regards,
 Andreas Petersson