Re: Content-Disposition: LWS in parameter ABNF; was: ISSUE-280: whitespace in parameter syntax?

On 07.03.2011 23:09, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> I see two ways out:
>>
>> - recognize that 5987 and 5988 are wrong, raise errata, and fix C-D before it goes to the IESG
>>
>> - recognize that 5987 and 5988 reflect common usage, and potentially fix it in HTTPbis
>
> I do not know of any such usage, let alone common.
>
> ....Roy

This may be an artefact from RFC2068/2616 not really using "parameter"
as common protocol element. If you look at
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2068#section-19.6.2.4> (Link) and
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.19.5.1>
(Content-Disposition), you will notice they do not use the generic
parameter ABNF; and thus are not affected by the prose over there.

Furthermore, <http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc2231/> shows that browsers
universally accept LSWP around "=" for Content-Disposition, so I
wouldn't be surprised if senders rely on it.

We probably should have similar tests for Content-Type.

Best regards, Julian