Re: Indicating a resource does not exist

Joe Gregorio wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>> Joe Gregorio wrote:
>>> What's wrong with 404 Not Found?
>>   404 Not Found
>>   The server has not found anything matching the effective request URI.
>>   No indication is given of whether the condition is temporary or
>>   permanent ...
>>
>> The best you can conclude from that is "don't know" the state of the
>> resource, or if there is one.
>
> OK, so 410 Gone if you want to indicate it is permanent.

410 entails more though, "was a resource, is no longer a resource", 404
is "I don't know", I'm looking for an unambiguous "origin server says
this is not a resource"

Essentially at the minute, the only resource states that can be conveyed
(as far as I can see) are:

  - created (POST/PUT 201, PUT 204)
  - current state (many combinations)
  - state changed (POST/PUT 200)
  - unknown state (DELETE 202, a few 3xx, most 4xx and all 5xx)
  - gone (204)

so basically, there's no way to say "no resource".

Best,

Nathan