Re: draft-bryan-metalinkhttp-18.txt

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:

>>> Go ahead. You can :-)
>>
>> any pointers?
>
> Well, write a spec with a media type reg (yes, not trivial)...

maybe some day... :)

>>> Also, it appears that you require more than what's needed.
>>>
>>> For instance, why would it be a problem when byte-for-byte identical
>>> files
>>> have different ETags on the same server? I think what's relevant is the
>>> requirement for the mirror files, not any additional requirements for
>>> other
>>> files^h^h^h^h^hresources on the server.
>>
>> is this better?
>>
>> "To have the same ETag policy means that ETags are synchronized across
>> servers for duplicate resources, i.e. byte-for-byte identical files
>> will have the same ETag on mirrors that they have on the Metalink
>> server."
>
> It probably would be good to state that this only applies to files that are
> mirrored (and not just "anything" on that server).

changed to this:

"To have the same ETag policy means that ETags are synchronized across
servers for resources that are mirrored, i.e. byte-for-byte identical
files will have the same ETag on mirrors that they have on the
Metalink server."

btw, I don't think you commented on the changed text with URI path
segments. did that mean it was awful or ok?

"Entries for mirror servers can have a "depth" value, where "depth=0"
is the default. A value of 0 means ONLY that file is mirrored and that
other URI path segments are not. A value of 1 means that file and all
other files and URI path segments contained in the rightmost URI path
segment are mirrored. For values of N, you go up N-1 URI path segments
above. A value of 2 means means going up one URI path segment above,
and all files and URI path segments contained are mirrored. For each
higher value, another URI path segment closer to the Host is mirrored.
"

--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads