Re: [saag] [websec] [kitten] HTTP authentication: the next generation

On 6 January 2011 16:03, David Morris <dwm@xpasc.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jan 2011, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
>> The answer to this problem is hard, since it brings us back to taking the UI
>> out of the sites hands.
>
> Which is only helpful if you can somehow gaurantee that the user agent
> software hasn't been compromised. Not something I'd bet on...

That's rather overstating it. It's perfectly helpful when the UA
software hasn't been compromised, which is a non-zero fraction of the
time.

When the UA s/w has been compromised I'm quite happy to fail to fix
the problem: the right answer to that is to improve the robustness of
the UA.