Re: #273: HTTP-Version should be redefined as fixed length pair of DIGIT . DIGIT

Hi Julian,

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 09:40:43AM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2011-06-25 00:14, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >Hi Julian,
> >
> >On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:16:26PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> >>    The HTTP version number consists of two non-negative decimal digits
> >
> >Since "integer" was changed to "digits" here, maybe we can remove the
> >"non-negative" precision ?
>
> Oops. I know I had this right, but somehow it didn't end up in the
> patch. See updated patch at
> <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/attachment/ticket/273/273.diff>.

Another point on wording, should we say "The first number" or "The first digit" ?

The risk of ambiguity is very low, but we're saying that the "HTTP version
number" is composed of two digits, then when we say "the first number", it
might be possible to read it as the HTTP version number composed from the
two digits. I think that talking only about digits removes any doubt :

    The HTTP version number consists of two decimal digits separated by a "."
    (period or decimal point).  The first digit ("major version") indicates the
    HTTP messaging syntax, whereas the second digit ("minor version") indicates
    the highest minor version to which the sender is at least conditionally
    compliant and able to understand for future communication.

Best regs,
Willy