Re: [http-state] [apps-discuss] HTTP MAC Authentication Scheme

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Adam Barth <ietf@adambarth.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure that's appropriate for this mechanism.  What problem does
> channel binding solve?

CB is not appropriate for OAuth today, no, because OAuth doesn't give
you mutual authentication, which means channel binding can't be done
either (well, not with any security guarantees).

You missed my point however: I don't really want to see a specific
purpose MAC here because I do believe it's generalizable, and if we
don't generalize it now we'll just have more special casing in code
later.  For a general MAC I'd want an option for CB (when TLS is used,
of course).

Nico