Re: [apps-discuss] HTTP MAC Authentication Scheme

Hi,

Reading draft -05.

The "normalized request string" contains the request-URI and values extracted from the Host header. Be aware that intermediaries can and do change these; e.g., they may change an absolute URI to a relative URI in the request-line, without affecting the semantics of the request. See [1] for details (it covers other problematic conditions too).

It would be more robust to calculate an effective request URI, as in [2].

Also, if you include a hash of the request body, you really need to include a hash of the body media type.

Generally, I think that people can and will want to include other headers; just because *some* developers can't get this right doesn't mean we should preclude *all* developers from doing it. It'd be really nice to see this either leverage DOSETA [3][4], or at least offer a clean transition path to it.

Regards,

1. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-14#section-4.1.2
2. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p1-messaging-14#section-4.3
3. http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-crocker-dkim-doseta-00