Re: 203 Non-Authoritative Information: deprecate?

On 30/05/2011, at 8:51 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On May 27, 2011, at 7:14 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-14#section-8.2.4
>>
>> Does anyone know of software that actually does something useful with this status code?
>
> 203 is for annotation proxies and other intermediaries that add something to
> the response.  It is the only way to indicate that contents have changed from
> the origin's response, which may be important for sigs/MACs, so I would not
> want to deprecate it.

OK. I'd like to clarify it so that this is more apparent; i.e., the semantic is "this has been transformed" (perhaps linking it into no-transform's semantics), because I've seen some people interpret this as "it's a cached response."

Will come up with a proposal.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/