Re: #290 [was: SHOULD-level requirements in p6-caching]

On 05/04/2011 07:01 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> OK. How do we specify this? Saying "When CC is present, you can ignore Pragma" brings about the case where:
>
> GET /foo HTTP/1.1
> Host: example.com
> Cache-Control: myweirdextension=foo
> Pragma: no-cache
>
> means that a HTTP/1.1 cache that doesn't implement myweirdextension now silently ignores the no-cache.

Is there anything that prevents the Host: field being left out for the
assumption of volatile (or no-cache) data is then in effect?

If Host: is intentionally left out and if there is any need to know
where-from then use "best effort" with the assumption of either "guest"
of known network, or "foreign" or "inherited". If "foreign" or
"inherited" then assume either the reply-path details are already
included (by specified protocol).

This could further eliminate the need for User-Agent: in "inherited" and
"guest" mode. The User-Agent: field doesn't make sense in "guest" mode,
so I would consider this optional. Could/Would... your opinion, please?

--
--- https://twitter.com/Dzonatas_Sol ---
Web Development, Software Engineering, Virtual Reality, Consultant