#290 [was: SHOULD-level requirements in p6-caching]

Now <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/trac/ticket/290>.

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p6-cache-14#section-3.4>:

>    This mechanism is deprecated; no new Pragma directives will be
>    defined in HTTP.

> I would like to see the text say that if there is a "Cache-Control:"
> header "Pragma:" MUST be ignored, to resolve the possible conflicts
> between them.

We already have:

> A cache SHOULD treat "Pragma: no-cache" as if the client had sent
>    "Cache-Control: no-cache".

so that makes them equivalent.

Combined with the rules in sections 2.1 and 2.2, that *should* clarify correct behaviour when they occur together, I think.

E.g., if something has both max-age and no-cache in the response, it might be stored, but won't be reused, because it violates the fourth bullet in section 2.2.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/