Re: Last Call: <draft-yevstifeyev-http-headers-not-recognized-08.txt> ('Headers-Not-Recognized' HTTP Header Field) to Experimental RFC

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:

>> What do packets have to do with HTTP headers?

> What do you mean? Packets have nothing to do with headers, there is nothing
> about this in paragraph above. Maybe you meant middle-boxes?

Read through your -09 spec again. You speak of "HTTP packets" in several
places, where they should rather be "HTTP request" or "HTTP responses" etc.

I also find the use of 'host' very confusing in the document as it is clearly
used instead of the more proper 'client' or 'server' in some places.

The second paragraph in section 2.1 combines both these mistakes and make a
blob of text that I cannot understand:

    When HTTP host receives HTTP packet with Headers-Not-Recognized
    header, it is RECOMMENDED that it avoids sending packets with headers
    with mentioned in it names or tries to change them so that it is able
    to recognize and process them.

Does this say that if a client learns about headers that the server doesn't
support, it shouldn't send them in subsequent requests?

--

  / daniel.haxx.se