Re: TAG resolution on redirection with fragment identifiers

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 05.12.2010 13:46, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Hi Noah,
>>
>> thanks for the feedback. Let's see what the current draft says in
>> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-12#section-9.4>:
>>

>> -- snip --
>> Note: This specification does not define precedence rules for the
>> case where the original URI, as navigated to by the user agent,
>> and the Location header field value both contain fragment
>> identifiers.
>> -- snip --
>>
>> We could extend that text like that:
>>
>> -- snip --
>> Note: This specification does not define precedence rules for the
>> case where the original URI, as navigated to by the user agent,
>> and the Location header field value both contain fragment
>> identifiers. Thus be aware that including fragment identifiers
>> might inconvenience anyone relying on the semantics of the
>> original URI's fragment identifier.
>> -- snip --
>>
>> So this is just a clarification of the current spec's position. Is the
>> WG ok with sticking with this position (not specifying the rule)?

As some browsers are already using a default rule in the case of HTML,
either we delegate to the HTML specification, or we define a rule for HTML
fragment ourselves (bad, IMHO), or we define a default rule if nothing
else is applicable (probably the best option).

         ~~Yves