Re: [kitten] [apps-discuss] [saag] HTTP authentication: the next generation

On Sun Dec 12 22:06:29 2010, Yoav Nir wrote:
> - It has to be integrated in the protocol, not the application

What?! No. It must be integrated in the application. If nothing else
can be learnt, then learn this one thing - we have had Basic and
Digest support in the protocol for years, but because they cannot
easily be integrated into the application, no serious consumer
applications use them, even though what they provide is never any
better than Basic.

If I could wave a magic wand and have all my wishes come true, I'd
embed SASL into the web browser such that:

- Users are presented with visually-distinct controls embedded into a
web page for authentication, much like Extended Validation. Perhaps
focussing them turns the address bar red or something.
- The SASL message exchanges happen over a WebSocket or equivalent
low-latency bidirectional channel. (Perhaps even HTTPS, I suppose - I
imagine a webbrowser gets given one or more URIs to use for
communications).
- The result of this is a one-time password intializer.
- Subsequent requests and responses occur with traditional HTTP auth,
using some OTP mechanism that requires only a single message.

The two parts of the protocol can, and should, be split - many
existing websites use a cookie as the result of authentication, and
having a more secure variant of this alone would be extremely useful.

Note that the key portion of this - embedded SASL - is not really
HTTP auth at all, but a Web Application Auth - since that's really
the other party to the authentication, it seems quite obvious to me
that this should be the authenticating entity.

> - It has to be secure against phishing - if the attacker gets you
> to authenticate, they can't later use that authentication to
> connect to the real server
> - If the authentication succeeded, then (a) you typed your password
> correctly, and (b) this is really the server
>
> EAP has some methods that do this. SASL can probably be made to do
> this, but with an extra layer.

SASL also has methods that will do this, I think - I'm not sure what
additional layer you're referring to here.

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave@cridland.net - xmpp:dwd@dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/