Re: [#259] Handling invalid Content-Dispostion headers

* Adam Barth wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>> So far nobody has volunteered to conduct the research required to come
>> up with a specification for error-tolerant Content-Disposition headers
>
>Thankfully Julian has already done most of the legwork in this area.
>Should have time in the next couple of weeks to sift through the data
>and write up a proposal for some specific text for the appendix.

Very well, I think we can wait a week or two. Do note that things like,
say, using non-ASCII characters in a quoted-string filename value, or
using percent-encoding there, do not qualify as error handling, since
the protocol does not disallow those there. If you do intend to propose
text in that area, I would expect you to detail exactly what Internet
Explorer does and, if your proposal diverges from that, show us actual
real-world live web site data, including information on how to reproduce
your findings, that would justify that. Microsoft is exceedingly unlike-
ly to change its code there, and other browsers are very likely to
attempt to match Internet Explorer there, as we can see by looking at
Chromium; it would be disingenuous to recommend anything else.

(In other areas compatibility with Internet Explorer is less important,
for instance `Content-Disposition: inline; filename=attachment` can be
treated as "inline", even though IE treats it as "attachment". That of
course is no error case either, there are in fact almost none, so it
should not take you long to submit your proposal.)