Re: Comments on draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Eric J. Bowman wrote:

> In fact, many user agents (googlebot) only interpret content.  Many of
> the issues you're suggesting HTTP be changed to account for, simply
> don't apply to user-agents *unless* they're rendering content.

As someone who works for Google, I assure you that we are interested in
seeing strict client-side conformance requirements, including those that
describe required error handling, in the HTTP specification. We want our
crawling infrastructure to interoperate with Web browsers, and currently
to do so we have to spend significant resources reverse-engineering those
browsers. It would be better for us, as well as fostering improved
competition in our space, if the specification could just define all this
in detail so we didn't have to reverse-engineer anything.