Re: Proposal: 205 Bodies [#88]

I guess the confusing issue is what is the purpose or meaning of a body
on a CONNECT request message?  What should a proxy do with it?  The only
case I've seen, the only thing that worked was discarding the body.  So
WinGate now discards all bodies on CONNECT requests.

If they are supposed to be forwarded after the connection is made, then
the message would need to be completed before this is done, so if
chunked, a 0 chunk would have to have been received.

I imagine it's fairly common to get chunked bodies on 407 response
messages regardless of the request method.

So I guess I take it back about whether chunking should be allowed, but
I still suggest bodies should be disallowed.

The other non-standard thing about CONNECT is the reusability of the
connection, and connection state management.  For instance, is it
required for all successful responses to CONNECT to specify Connection:
close? Since that's the only way to specify that the connection cannot
be used for anything else afterwards, which we all know is actually the
case, since HTTP framing is lost as soon as the response message is
completed.