Re: NEW: #235: Cache Invalidation only happens upon successful responses

On Oct 17, 2010, at 9:28 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Roy, what's your precise definition of successful? 2xx, or 2xx + 3xx?
>
> E.g., 303 See Other seems like it's squarely within the intent of cache invalidation, since Location is included.

Note that this is just for invalidation of an existing cached
response to a prior GET upon receiving a state-changing request
for the same URI.  For example, in the case

   GET  /x --> 200 with form to fill out
   POST /x --> 303 to /y

I would not expect the first GET to be invalidated by the 303
even if the 303 is marked cacheable.

I think we should keep in mind that this requirement is just an
optimization for authoring clients.  We don't need to cover every
possible case.

....Roy