Re: treating invalid parameters in Content-Disposition

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 03.10.2010 20:08, Adam Barth wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Julian Reschke<julian.reschke@gmx.de>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Exactly. I don't see any interop for malformed headers right now. There's
>>> nothing to be standardized, and also, nothing that *needs* to be
>>> standardized.
>>
>> That's true from the server's perspective.  Servers are interested in
>> generating headers that work in the intersection of user agent
>> behavior.  User agents, however, are interested in processing the
>> maximal subset of Content-Disposition headers generated by servers.
>
> OK, so I think the interesting question is: is the subset where there *is*
> interop today any bigger than the one defined in the spec?

That's the interesting question for folks who wish to generate the
header.  The question for folks who want to consume the header is
different.  The operative question is "what single semantic theory
captures the intended semantics of the largest number of messages
generated in practice?"  These two things are quite likely to be
different in this case.  (I'm writing up a longer message explaining
this statement.)

Adam