Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-02

Adam Barth wrote:

> 1) It looks like the disposition-type is actually optional, even
> though it's required by the grammar.

There's nothing wrong with C-D for HTTP having stricter requirements
than general-purpose MIME C-D.  Over time, browsers would no longer
need to support servers which don't send it.  I'd support changing the
draft language to deprecate treating it as optional.

> 2) It looks like the user agent is supposed to URL-decode the
> filename:

> => abc de.pdf
>
> Appendix C.4 seems to indicate that that this is implemented by IE and
> Chrome.  From the comments in the file referenced above, it seems this
> is important for the Asian market.

While that may be a valid stakeholder concern, what about all the times
I've used wget to dump a website from a Windows server to a UNIX server?
In which case I specifically don't want the spec instructing the user
agent whether or not to decode; it could be a CLI option.  User agent !=
browser, browser market concerns aren't always relevant to how HTTP is
used in reality.

-Eric