Re: Working Group Last Call: draft-ietf-httpbis-content-disp-02

* Adam Barth wrote:
>This document appears to be insufficiently precise for user agents to
>implement Content-Disposition.  In particular, it does not
>disambiguate what filename a user agent should use if multiple
>filename attributes are present.  The grammar will fail to parse a
>large number of Content-Disposition headers user agents receive on the
>public Internet, etc.  The document says:

The parameters are advisory only; the draft defines that `filename*`
gives better advice than `filename`; there is little need to specify
something beyond that. As for content that falls outside the profile
here, browsers don't really agree on much. For instance,

that's "inline" in Opera and Firefox, but "attachment" in IE6. Something
that actually occurs practise is unquoted spaces,

That's "ex" in Firefox, but "ex ample.txt" in Opera and IE6. Malformed

is rejected as malformed by IE6 which then makes up its own name, but
it ends up as "example.txt" in Firefox and Opera. If we take the in-
tersection of what works in all major browsers and what actually occurs
in practise where it is more than a slight inconvenience for the user
if the header is ignored alltogether, we won't end up with something
that's noticably different than what's in the draft.

>We should either add enough detail to the document to allow for user
>agent implementations or clarify that this document is intended to
>apply only to servers.

That would be missing the point. The point of a profile specification is
that if a sender sends out something that conforms to the profile, then
recepients will process it in a manner conforming to the specification.