RE: Last Call: draft-bryan-http-digest-algorithm-values-update (Additional Hash Algorithms for HTTP Instance Digests) to Informational RFC

I am supportive of updating *a* registry.

The OAuth working group has an open requirement for standard identifiers to describe hash/digest functions.

What is not clear to me is the relationship of this registry and:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/hash-function-text-names/

which seems to overlap.

I am not sure why we need both, and if we do (because they are protocol specific and required for interoperability), how should a new specification decide which to use or if a new registry is required. For example my uneducated reading of 4572 suggests it is not exactly the same use case as the previous RFCs using that registry.

In addition, using different tokens for the same algorithm across protocols seems like a bad idea (lower case, upper case, SHA vs sha-1).

And since both include MD5... arguments about appropriate hash algorithm to increase security fail.

EHL