Re: weak etags vs PATCH, was: Fwd: New Version Notification - draft-dusseault-http-patch-15.txt

On Oct 19, 2009, at 12:43 PM, Brian Smith wrote:

> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> So my proposal would be to stay silent on this, and let the base spec
>> define it.
>
> I agree, but IMO, there should *never* be a fallback to Last-Modified
> because Last-Modified only has 1-second resolution. If the server
> supports
> PATCH then it can definitely provide an ETag.

1-second resolution is as good as nanosecond resolution as soon
as that second is history, and in practice both are useless for
tagging dynamic content that is generated during a response.

Using last-modified as a fallback is always better than not
using any conditional at all.

....Roy