RE: Clarifying Content-Location (Issue 136)

Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@gmx.de] wrote:
> Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > On Oct 5, 2009, at 11:42 PM, Brian Smith wrote:
> >> -- snip --
> >> 5.7.  Content-Location
> >>
> >>     The "Content-Location" entity-header field is used to
> >>     supply a URI for the entity in the message.
> >>
> >>       Content-Location   = "Content-Location" ":" OWS
> >>                             Content-Location-v
> >>       Content-Location-v = absolute-URI / partial-URI
> >>
> >>     The meaning of the Content-Location header in requests is
> >>     undefined; servers are free to ignore it in those cases.
> >> -- snip --

> > Thanks Brian.  +1 to the proposal.
>
> 1) Completely dropping an explanation *why* you would want to supply a
> URI seems to be a bit drastic.

Agreed. Addressed below.

> 2) I agree that it's clear how relative references are resolved, but I
> think mentioning what the base URI is still useful. Otherwise, we could
> have a generic statement somewhere in Part 1 that, unless stated
> otherwise, relative references are always resolved against the
> Request-URI (noting that we still need a definition for that).

As I said, this is already specified in Part 1, section 2.1.

> 3) I *think* the text should reference the new section in Part 2
> (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-
> latest.html#identifying.response.associated.with.representation>)

Agreed. Addressed below.

> 4) Wrt dropping the base setting semantics I'll reply in a separate
> mail.

The resolution to that issue can be added later. New version:

------------------
5.7.  Content-Location

     The "Content-Location" entity-header field is used to
     supply a URI for the entity in the message.

       Content-Location   = "Content-Location" ":" OWS
                             Content-Location-v
       Content-Location-v = absolute-URI / partial-URI

     Section 6.1 of Part 2 (Message Semantics) describes how
     clients may process the Content-Location header field.
     Section 2.4 Of Part 6 (Caching) describes how caches
     must process the Content-Location header field. The
     meaning of the Content-Location header field in requests
     is undefined; servers MAY ignore it in requests.

Regards,
Brian