Re: NEW ISSUE: Drop Content-Location [#154]

On 08/10/2009, at 12:31 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Mark Nottingham wrote:
>> I haven't seen any discussion of this, but I believe the general
>> feeling is to drop the base-setting semantics of Content-Location
>> in HTTP.
>> Any other thoughts? Otherwise we'll go in that direction.
>
> +1, but we need to consider the details.
>
> Currently, we have
>
> "The value of Content-Location also defines the base URI for the
> entity."
>
> Do we drop this (potentially breaking currently conforming
> implementations), or do we make it optional?

Personally, I'd say the former; we've found cases where it can be
harmful, it isn't widely implemented, and making it optional will lead
to yet more interoperability problems. We are chartered to improve
interop, and are explicitly allowed to change things when this is the
case.

> In both case, we'll also have to record this as a normative change
> in the Changes section.

Yes.